Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week 1 on the 21 Day Fix

YAY!!! Officially done with week 1 of the 21 Day Fix!

I am down 5 pounds in my first week & my body feels AMAZING (despite having a nasty cold that I've been dealing with all week).

A lot of people want to know "what's life like on the FIX?" The answer? It's pretty simple. 


Let's start in the area that is easiest to explain. The workouts. In the Essentials Kit, you'll receive 8 workouts - well, 9 if you order from me ;)  You get

  • Total Body Cardio
  • Upper Fix
  • Lower Fix
  • Pilates Fix
  • Cardio Fix
  • Dirty 30
  • Yoga Fix
  • 10 Minute Ab Fix
  • Plyo Fix (if you order from yours truly) 

Each workout is approximately 30 minutes. The workouts are intense, but every workout had a modifier - so if you're new to fitness, getting back into fitness or are maybe nursing an illness/injury, you can still do the workout - just with some modifications. And let me be the one to tell you, just because you're modifying, doesn't mean you're not getting a hardcore workout in. I have a bad knee - so doing 30 minutes of Plyo just isn't going to happen. In that workout, I modify every move - except one - and I'm still dripping sweat at the end of it. Bottom line - do what you can with what you've got & just try to progress a little more each week. The 10 Minute Ab Fix and Plyo Fix are just little add ons. You don't have to do them. But if you want to, you can!

Next up - nutrition. Your Essentials Kit will come with some pretty colored containers. Each color represents a food group. So, Red is protein, Yellow is carbs, Green is veggies, Purple is fruit, Blue is dairy/nuts & Orange is nuts/salad dressings. Based on your current weight, you'll do a little math & then figure out what calorie bracket you fall into. And based on that bracket, you'll be allotted so many colored containers a day. For me, it breaks down like this:
  • 4 Red
  • 3 Green
  • 2 Yellow
  • 2 Purple
  • 1 Blue
  • 1 Orange
Ok - so there's colored containers...but what am I actually eating??? Every morning at breakfast is my Shakeology. Other meals have included, berries, apples, peanut butter, grapes, tilapia, chicken, ground turkey, eggs, turkey bacon, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, whole grain toast, oatmeal, zucchini, broccoli, eggs, rice, quinoa & perhaps my favorite of the week...chocolate covered raisins. Yes, you read that right. CHOCOLATE. I can even have wine if I want it. This program isn't about a super restrictive diet. It's about teaching you proper nutrition & portion control - and that includes weekly treats. This isn't just a 21 day meal plan - this is something you can do for life. 

Now, I bet I know one of the questions on your mind. Am I ever hungry? Yes, and no. When I first got my kit, I did a few "test days" to try things out. During that time, I was having breakfast, a big morning snack, lunch, a small afternoon snack and dinner. By dinner, I was ravenous. So, last week, I switched things up. I put my smaller snack in the morning and moved my bigger snack to the late afternoon and now I'm fine. I'm eating food every 2-3 hours and completely satisfied. 

Cravings. Have I had them? Goodness, yes. Especially when I'm sick like I am. I want comfort food. But I haven't caved. I have cravings whether I'm following a healthy nutrition plan or not. With this plan, I'm allowed my "treats" 3 times a week. I plan them out (TuesdAys, Fridays and Saturdays). I look forward to them, and I enjoy every bite - or sip.

The program really is simple. 30 minute workouts. Easy to follow meal plan. All the guess work has been taken away. I'm excited to jump into week 2 and see what it brings!!! 

Think you may want to join my March 21 Day Fix group? Just shoot me an email here and we can go over all of the details :)

signature photo signature_zps5b99cf95.png

No comments:

Post a Comment